INSTITUTE OF PHYSICS OF THE CAS, ELI BEAMLINES
ELI Beamlines is a part of the ELI (Extreme Light Infrastructure) pan-European project. ELI Beamlines aims to establish and operate the world’s most intense laser system. With ultra-high power 10 PW (1 petawatt = 1,000,000,000,000,000 watts) and concentrated intensities of up to 1024 W/cm2, we offer our users a unique source of radiation and rays of accelerated particles. These beamlines will enable pioneering research not only in physics and material science, but also in biomedicine and laboratory astrophysics and many other fields. The center was opened in 2015.
As well as basic research and development in the field of lasers, ELIBeamlines also deals with applied research addressing a wide range of issues incuding cancer treatment, medical imaging, fast electronics, ageing studies of a nuclear reactor and development of new nuclear waste treatment methods. Thanks to ELI Beamlines, the Czech Republic will become a host country of top international research, which provides significant potential not only for attracting investment into advanced technologies with high added value, but also forcompanies, excellentresearchersandtechnicalstaff from the fields of optics and laser sciences, material sciences, electronics and engineering. The Czech optical and photonic industries play an important role in development of technological components needed to build ELIBeamlines, to maintain them and further develop. ELI Beamlines is therefore also a pillar in the development of regional innovation initiatives.
FOR THE PUBLIC
- International Day of Light – for the general public
- Talent Academy – for talented secondary school students
- Dolní Břežany Science Fair – for elementary schools
- Involvement in the project entitled Elixir to schools
- Promoting science and natural history subjects in elementary & secondary schools
- Science Fair – for students and the general public
- Researchers’ Night – for the lay and professional public
- CAS Science and Technology Week– for secondary schools and the general public
- ELISS – ELI summer school for undergraduate and graduate students